In 1709, people who’d arrived on Taiwan from China’s Fujian Province staked out a new home along a riverfront area in what’s now Taipei. They were the founders of Bangka, a town that took its name from a word meaning “wooden canoe” in language of the Ketagalan people indigenous to the area. From these beginnings, the town grew, until it was eventually absorbed by the modern city of Taipei. During its centuries of development, the town has seen its share of important historical buildings built as well as its share of excitement. This week, we’re going to look at the story of Bangka, also known in Mandarin as Wanhua, and visit some of the historical landmarks to be found there.
- 01 July, 2018